Date night with your vegetarian friends needs this plant-loaded, steamy bowl of noodles. Don’t let the ingredient list fool you, it’s all soup-er easy. And, as with life itself, remember: patience be thy virtue here, friends.
2 boxes of vegetable broth or stock
2 small cartons of shiitake mushrooms
1 bunch of scallions
1 small yellow onion
1 bunch baby bok choy
4 tablespoons miso paste
2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic, smashed
2 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced or graated
3 lemongrass stalks, halved lengthways
Toasted sesame oil
Radishes, thinly sliced
Scallion tops, chopped
2 PECK Packs (we dig Fried Rice here), halved
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and sesame oil (roughly equal parts).
- Cut scallions to separate the white part (save the tops), and chop into rings. Finely chop your yellow onion. Add both to pot and saute until everything becomes translucent.
- Add your smashed garlic fresh ginger. Saute for a few more minutes.
- Add shiitake mushrooms and bok choy. Continue to cook for five to 10 minutes on high heat until everything starts to cook down, release water, and begins to brown. Refresh with olive oil if the pot gets dry (mushrooms will absorb it).
- Add mirin, rice wine vinegar, and soy sauce. Cook for another five minutes.
- Add miso paste and mix thoroughly. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and bring broth up to a boil; once boiling, reduce back down to a gentle simmer. Add a few stalks of lemongrass.
- Allow broth to cook, covered, for at least 30 minutes, and ideally for one hour. (Leave a small gap open for steam).
- Taste for seasoning, and add more salt or soy sauce if needed. Add ramen noodles just before serving.
- Add noodles, veg, and browth to serving bowls. Top with sliced Peckish eggs, fried rice seasoning, kimchi, scallions, and sliced radishes (and a dab of sriracha for heat if that’s your vibe).